LEDBETTER, Ky. - Junior Hadley Jennings (Trenton, Mo.) earned a top-five finish to lead the Drake women's golf team to an eighth-place showing at the Murray State Drake Creek Invitational hosted by Drake Creek Golf Club on Tuesday (Sept. 18).
The Bulldogs fired a final-round 327 to finish with a 54-hole total of 958 (317-314-327=958) to finish eighth among the 11 competing schools.
"I was disappointed by our finish as we always strive to play better each round, but today we struggled with our games," Drake head coach Leanne Smith commented. "This gives us something to work on and I'm glad we have a nice break to get our games back together before our next tournament at Oral Roberts."
Jennings closed the final 18 holes with a round of 74 to conclude her 54-hole effort with a 224 (77-73-74) score, which was good for fifth place.
Senior Chelsey Falk (Glenwood, Minn.) entered the day three shots behind tournament leader Shay Sullivan of Belmont but was unable to close the gap carding a final-round 79 to finish with a 226 (73-74-79) total, good for a tie for seventh place.
"It was rewarding to see Hadley shoot a 74 today and earn a top-5 finish," said Smith. "I feel a little disappointed for Chelsey. Scoring a 79 which gave her three rounds under 80 is nice, but I was hoping she would make a run at the top today."
Drake returns to action at the Bob Hurley Oral Roberts Shootout (Oct. 1-2) in Tulsa, Okla.
MURRAY STATE DRAKE CREEK INVITATIONAL
SEPT. 18, 2012 • 54 HOLES
DRAKE CREEK GOLF CLUB (LEDBETTER, KY.)
1) Central Arkansas 906 (306-293-307=906)
2) Arkansas State 911 (300-301-310=911)
3) Belmont 919 (292-309-318=919)
4) Columbia 922 (304-302-316=922)
5) Southern Illinois 927 (317-296-314=927)
6) Murray State 929 (302-298-329=929)
7) Austin Peay 934 (310-309-315=934)
8) Drake 958 (317-314-327=958)
9) Northern Iowa 963 (321-311-331=963)
10) Jackson State 1,011 (344-322-345=1,011)
11) Tennessee State 1,152 (395-384-373=1,152)