Drake Concludes Redbird Invitational With Eighth-Place Showing
NORMAL, Ill. - Carding a final-round 325, the Drake women's golf team earned a 54-hole score of 959 (318-316-325=959), good for an eighth-place finish among 15 teams at the Redbird Invitational hosted by D.A. Weibring Golf Club on Sunday (Sept. 9).
"Hadley (Jennings) got off to a rough start today before rallying to turn a strong performance, including posting birdies on four of the final 14 holes of the round," Bulldog head coach Leanne Smith commented. "She's really played well this weekend as her mental game has come a long way since last spring and it was nice to see her finish tied for third. Chelsey (Falk) got off to a rough start as well before coming back with a 35 on the back nine to finish strong."
Junior Hadley Jennings (Trenton, Mo.) was the Bulldogs' top finisher with a two-day total of 225 (74-77-74) to tie for third place, after posting a final round 74.
Senior Chelsey Falk (Glenwood, Minn.) was nearly as impressive carding a final-round 78 to post a 54-hole total of 232 (79-75-78) en route to a 15th-place showing.
Sophomore Danielle Brooks (Red Wing, Minn.) and freshman Katie Clausen (Hinton, Iowa) each recorded tournament scores of 251 to tie for 61st place. Brooks (81-85-85=251) turned in a round of 85 over the final 18 holes, while Clausen (84-79-88=251) signed off on a score of 88.
"Overall, I'm happy with our performance for the first tournament of the season and I'm looking forward to making adjustments and being ready in our next event," said Smith.
The Bulldogs continue their fall campaign traveling to Murray, Ky., to compete in the Murray State Invitational (Sept. 17-18).
SEPT. 9, 2012 • 54 HOLES
D.A. WEIBRING GOLF COURSE (NORMAL, ILL.)
1) Toledo 915 (303-307-305=915)
2) Bowling Green 928 (312-301-315=928)
3) Illinois State 930 (300-315-315=930)
4) Ball State 933 (315-306-312=933)
5) Bradley 936 (305-317-314=936)
6) Akron 941 (322-306-313=941)
7) Southern Illinois 946 (312-323-311=946)
8) Drake 959 (318-316-325=959)
Eastern Kentucky 959 (322-314-323=959)
10) Ohio 963 (322-320-321=963)
11) Oakland 968 (327-322-319=968)
12) Western Illinois 969 (318-325-326=969)
13) South Dakota State 981 (318-338-325=981)
14) Evansville 992 (344-319-329=992)
15) Illinois Wesleyan 998 (332-339-327=998)